The <samp> tag contains sample output from a computer program or a script. In the browser, the content of the tag is displayed in a monospace font, by default.
The <samp> tag is a phrase tag indicating that a text section has structural meaning.
You can achieve a better effect with CSS, though the <samp> tag is not deprecated.
The default font face of the browser can be overridden with a CSS rule for the <samp> tag. However, the browser’s preferences may take priority over any specified CSS.
The <samp> tag comes in pairs. The content is written between the opening (<samp>) and closing (</samp>) tags.
Example of the HTML <samp> tag:¶
<html> <head> <title>Title of the document</title> </head> <body> <p>You see an ordinary text here. <samp>But this is a sample text.</samp> And another ordinary text.</p> </body> </html>
In HTML, there are other elements used to specify the parts of a technical document: the <code> tag is used for defining the computer program output, the <kbd> tag is used for specifying a keyboard input, and the <var> tag is used for specifying variables.
How to style <samp> tag?
Common properties to alter the visual weight/emphasis/size of text in <samp> tag:
- CSS font-style property sets the style of the font. normal | italic | oblique | initial | inherit.
- CSS font-family property specifies a prioritized list of one or more font family names and/or generic family names for the selected element.
- CSS font-size property sets the size of the font.
- CSS font-weight property defines whether the font should be bold or thick.
- CSS text-transform property controls text case and capitalization.
- CSS text-decoration property specifies the decoration added to text, and is a shorthand property for text-decoration-line, text-decoration-color, text-decoration-style.
Coloring text in <samp> tag:
- CSS color property describes the color of the text content and text decorations.
- CSS background-color property sets the background color of an element.
Text layout styles for <samp> tag:
- CSS text-indent property specifies the indentation of the first line in a text block.
- CSS text-overflow property specifies how overflowed content that is not displayed should be signalled to the user.
- CSS white-space property specifies how white-space inside an element is handled.
- CSS word-break property specifies where the lines should be broken.
Other properties worth looking at for <samp> tag:
- CSS text-shadow property adds shadow to text.
- CSS text-align-last property sets the alignment of the last line of the text.
- CSS line-height property specifies the height of a line.
- CSS letter-spacing property defines the spaces between letters/characters in a text.
- CSS word-spacing property sets the spacing between words.
| || || || || |