HTML <dd> Tag
HTML <dd> tag, together with the <dl> and <dt> tags, is used to create a definition list. The <dd> tag contains a description of the term, which is defined by the <dt> tag. There should be at a minimum one <dt> tag followed by at a minimum one <dd> tag for each group. It is possible to list:
- one term followed by several descriptions,
- one term followed by one description,
- several terms followed by one description,
- several terms followed by several descriptions.
To determine the list itself, we use the <dl> tag. A single term may have several definitions in the description list. (Learn more about HTML lists).
The <dd> element is a block-level element and can comprise other elements: paragraphs, lists, images, links, and so on. It is placed within <body>.
The default content of the <dd> element has an outer margin on the left side.
The <dd> tag comes in pairs. The content is written between the opening (<dd>) and closing (</dd>) tags.
Example of the HTML <dd> tag:
<html> <head> <title>Title of the document</title> </head> <body> <h1>Definition list:</h1> <dl> <dt>Tea</dt> <dd>- hot drink</dd> <dt>Juice</dt> <dd>- ice drink</dd> </dl> </body> </html>
Example of the HTML <dd> tag for inserting a dialogue:
<html> <head> <title>Title of the document</title> </head> <body> <dl> <dt>George</dt> <dd>Hi</dd> <dd>What’s up?</dd> <dt>Mary</dt> <dd>Hi.</dd> <dd>I’m doing well, what about you?</dd> <dt>George</dt> <dd>Thanks, everything is fine. What are you doing?</dd> <dt>Mary</dt> <dd>I’m going to a party today in the evening. And you?</dd> </dl> </body> </html>
How to style <dd> tag?
Common properties to alter the visual weight/emphasis/size of text in <dd> tag:
- CSS font-style property sets the style of the font. normal | italic | oblique | initial | inherit.
- CSS font-family property specifies a prioritized list of one or more font family names and/or generic family names for the selected element.
- CSS font-size property sets the size of the font.
- CSS font-weight property defines whether the font should be bold or thick.
- CSS text-transform property controls text case and capitalization.
- CSS text-decoration property specifies the decoration added to text, and is a shorthand property for text-decoration-line, text-decoration-color, text-decoration-style.
Coloring text in <dd> tag:
- CSS color property describes the color of the text content and text decorations.
- CSS background-color property sets the background color of an element.
Text layout styles for <dd> tag:
- CSS text-indent property specifies the indentation of the first line in a text block.
- CSS text-overflow property specifies how overflowed content that is not displayed should be signalled to the user.
- CSS white-space property specifies how white-space inside an element is handled.
- CSS word-break property specifies where the lines should be broken.
Other properties worth looking at for <dd> tag:
- CSS text-shadow property adds shadow to text.
- CSS text-align-last property sets the alignment of the last line of the text.
- CSS line-height property specifies the height of a line.
- CSS letter-spacing property defines the spaces between letters/characters in a text.
- CSS word-spacing property sets the spacing between words.
| || || || || |