The HTML <bdo> tag ("bidirectional override") sets the direction of a text output from right to left. It is used primarily with languages where reading occurs from right to left (e.g. Arabic).
The dir attribute is a required option for the <bdo> tag. It defines the direction within the <bdo> tag. It can have one of two values: ltr and rtl.
You should not use RTL words and phrases without markup. This can cause some problems. For isolating bidirectional text and avoiding display problems, you can use the <bdi> element.
HTML 4 did not specify events for the <bdo> element. They were added in XHTML.
The <bdo> tag comes in pairs. The content is written between the opening (<bdo>) and closing (</bdo>) tags.
Example of the HTML <bdo> text:
<html> <head> <title>Title of the document</title> </head> <body> <p>Text from left to right </p> <p> <bdo dir="rtl">And this one, from right to left</bdo>. </p> </body> </html>
|Defines the direction of the text from left to right or from right to left.|
How to style <bdo> tag?
Common properties to alter the visual weight/emphasis/size of text in <bdo> tag:
- CSS font-style property sets the style of the font. normal | italic | oblique | initial | inherit.
- CSS font-family property specifies a prioritized list of one or more font family names and/or generic family names for the selected element.
- CSS font-size property sets the size of the font.
- CSS font-weight property defines whether the font should be bold or thick.
- CSS text-transform property controls text case and capitalization.
- CSS text-decoration property specifies the decoration added to text, and is a shorthand property for text-decoration-line, text-decoration-color, text-decoration-style.
Coloring text in <bdo> tag:
- CSS color property describes the color of the text content and text decorations.
- CSS background-color property sets the background color of an element.
Text layout styles for <bdo> tag:
- CSS text-indent property specifies the indentation of the first line in a text block.
- CSS text-overflow property specifies how overflowed content that is not displayed should be signalled to the user.
- CSS white-space property specifies how white-space inside an element is handled.
- CSS word-break property specifies where the lines should be broken.
Other properties worth looking at for <bdo> tag:
- CSS text-shadow property adds shadow to text.
- CSS text-align-last property sets the alignment of the last line of the text.
- CSS line-height property specifies the height of a line.
- CSS letter-spacing property defines the spaces between letters/characters in a text.
- CSS word-spacing property sets the spacing between words.