PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is a server-side scripting language widely used for developing dynamic web applications. In this guide, we will provide you with a step-by-step instruction on how to install PHP on your computer and start coding PHP applications.
Before you begin, you need to make sure you have the following prerequisites:
- A computer with Windows, Mac, or Linux operating system.
- A web server such as Apache or Nginx installed on your computer.
- A text editor such as Notepad++, Sublime Text, or Visual Studio Code.
Downloading and Installing PHP
- Visit the official PHP website https://windows.php.net/download/ and download the latest version of PHP for your operating system.
- Once the download is complete, double-click the setup file to start the installation process.
- Follow the instructions provided by the setup wizard to install PHP on your computer.
- Once the installation is complete, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Configuring PHP with Apache
- Open the Apache configuration file located in the Apache installation folder (usually
C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Group\Apache2\conf\httpd.conf).
- Find the following line in the file:
#LoadModule php7_module modules/libphp7.so
- Remove the
#symbol to uncomment the line, then save and close the file.
- Restart Apache to apply the changes.
Testing the PHP Installation
- Create a new file with a
index.php) in your web root folder (usually
C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs).
- Enter the following code into the file:
- Save and close the file.
- Open a web browser and navigate to
- If everything is set up correctly, you will see a page displaying information about your PHP installation.
In this guide, we have provided you with a step-by-step instruction on how to install PHP on your computer and start coding PHP applications. By following these instructions, you will be able to set up a development environment and start learning PHP in no time.